Tuesday 7 June 2016

Game Maker Progress 9: Basic Inventory Set-Up

Hey everyone, 

This week I'm going to show you a simple inventory system I've been working on. It's far from complete - up to this point I've only completed the interface, as well as the ability to walk over an item, decide if you want to collect it or not - and keep moving should you choose not to. I'm still trying to decide how to go with storing the items - however I've decided to show you what I have until now because it took a fair amount of thinking to get done!

Inventory Menu

As is - this is a bare-bone appearance of the inventory window. The system basically uses a 2D-Array that holds all the details of the object in that slot and place it within it's associated slot. It took a few tries to get it to work right - as it turns out that certain functions weren't working the way I expected them to work - eventually it worked out however! 

Collect or Leave Item


At the moment - you can't really collect items per se. This is because I'm still working on how I'm going to store items and detect whether a slot is taken or not - but the system to leave the item on the ground works fairly well! After I have the inventory system working - I also need to work on the equipping system - but one step at a time! 

Until next time,
Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment